At 14, my grandmother’s sister disappeared from her home in Israel.
Years later, she started sending my family letters with a desperate plea for contact, written from a refugee camp where she lived as an Arab.
My family chose to turn their backs.
I discovered her letters after my grandmother died and set out on an emotional quest to uncover the past and to reveal the story of my torn up family.
Noa Ben Hagai, Director
The director, granddaughter to Pnina’s sister, tracks the family secret and finds that Pnina’s children, who live in a refugee camp, only half an hour away from her home in Tel Aviv, have been waiting for their Jewish relatives to call for years.
Renewing the contact between the families leads to unpredictable events that take place in front of the camera, involving all in a moving saga.
- Title: Blood Relation
- Director: Noa Ben Hagai
- Country: Israel
- Year: 2009
- Running Time: 75 min.
- Genre: Documentary
- Stars: Hiam Abbass - Pnina’s voice
- Amnesty International Human Rights Film Award - 12. Ljubljana Doc Film Festival (Slovenia, March 2010)
- Second Award for Best Documentary – DocAviv, Documentary FF (Israel, May 2010)
- Best Asian Documentary Award - Shanghai TV Festival
- Magnolia Award for Best Asian Documentary (China, June 2010)
- Best Documentary Award – The International Women's Film Festival (Israel, September 2010)
- Ulysses Award, Montpellier- Best Documentary 2010