Juliano Mer Khamis was the son of Arna Mer, a Jewish woman, and Saliba Khamis, a Palestinian man. Juliano was one of Israel/Palestine’s leading actors. During the first Intifada, his mother Arna established an alternative educational program in Jenin Refugee Camp to compensate for the virtual collapse of the formal one due to the Israeli occupation. Among its activities was the “Stone Theatre” – a performance workshop that Juliano directed. Eight years after Arna’s death, and five years after the theatre project ended, Juliano returned to the Camp to discover the tragic story of Arna’s children as childhood innocence is lost to war. Juliano himself was killed in Jenin in April 2011.
- Title: Arna’s Children
- Director: Juliano Mer Khamis, Danniel Danniel
- Country: Israel / Nederlands
- Year: 2004
- Running Time: 84 min.
- Genre: Documentary
- IDFA, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2003
- NYON Visions du Reel, Nyon, Switzerland, April, 2004, Special Award and young jury award
- Hot Docs Can.Int. Doc. Festival, Canada, April\May, 2004 Fipresci Prize- Best First Documentary Feature
- Tribeca Film Festival, New York, USA, May, 2004, First Prize- Best Documentary Feature
- Prague One World Festival, Prague, Czech Republic, April, 2004, First Prize
- Dutch Academy, Dutch Academy Award, 2005